Uncategorized

HamQuest Returns

So, my website playdeez.com has been defunct for almost a year. Its still there, and its a long story that I might tell some day other than today.

For now, I share most stuff on the Dropbox, and I have thus far uploaded most of the flash games I wrote (they are on the right side of the blog, under links).

Today, I finally add HamQuest to that list.

I may even work on this version (a little… I backed myself into some pretty severe corners architecturally, so more effort will be on the Java version *WITHOUT* the convoluted organic architecture)>

So enjoy.

Advertisements
Uncategorized

Silverlight, Looping MP3, Sadness, and Woe

So, I got to the part in JL2011 where I start to put the music and sound effects in.

I have another game where I did this (Object Ouster), so I just grabbed the classes I used to manage multiple sound effects, and went with it.

The sound effects worked flawlessly.

The music….

Not so much. There is an awkward silence while playback loops.

So, I head to the interwebnets, to find a solution.

Because this is JetLag, and if the stupid JetLag song doesn’t play, its just not JetLag.

Uncategorized

ASCII Graphics in SilverLight

I have recently begun work on a new version of JetLag called, unimaginitively, JetLag 2011.

The most recent “full” version of JetLag was 2003, and was written in C++ and used SDL and Visual Studio .NET (the 2002 version, so with the rare 7.0 runtime).

I’ve had a number of other quick versions with blocks and sans lucky charms, but this time I wanted to really make a version with all of the bells and whistles, including full ASCII text mode graphics emulation, as well as the same sounds that I used in JetLag1999.

The first major issue that I had with the SilverLight version was the graphics.

SilverLight is meant to make really pretty things. Not emulate an ASCII screen from DOS.

I could not find a way to colorize an image, at least not without a pixel shader.

My needs are simple.

I simply need to take a white graphic and give it a hue in which to shade.

Easy, right?

Not hardly.

Fail.

So, plan B – use 16 image, one of each color, and use a cropping technique to set the visible part.

This works, but it was very slow, and my frame rate was abyssmal.

Not to say that I needed a huge frame rate. I can make do with about 20fps. It’s JetLag, so it doesn’t smoothly scroll.

So I dug a little while longer.

I discovered that ImageBrushes render quickly.

A ha!

Now the entire grid consists of layered rectangles given a Fill of various image brushes.

How many image brushes?

16 for the background rectangles.

4096 for the foreground rectangles. 256 characters each in 16 colors. Each one 16×16 pixels.

It takes quite a while to download the repository, as you might imagine.

Which is what I am doing now on another of my machines.

And I do cache them.  The image brushes do not load the image until needed. It makes starting out a little bit slower(not noticeable on any of my machines, but I haven’t fired up my clunker yet).

The only question left to ask is “why”.

Why ASCII graphics? And in SilverLight, even.

(I also did them on the iPhone, as some may remember).

Really the technique that I found for using ImageBrushes would help with any game where a fixed grid of layered rectangles is needed.

Which is really almost all of my games.

Uncategorized

New Quickie Game

Yesterday, my wife was playing a game at pogo.com called Poppit!

She was not satisfied with exploding pies.  She mentioned that I should make a game like is, so behold:

I unleash upon the world another hastily thrown together hopelessly derivative game!

It is called Turtle-Pop, and you can play it here.

The state at this time is “barely functional”.  It does not detect the “no more moves” condition. It does no collapsing animation in the slightest.  It represents all of about three hours worth of work, and more importantly it includes the use of Angband graphics.

At some point, I will re-theme it with the creatures of hamquest, or perhaps the items, depending on what images are most easily differentiated.

In fact, I think all of my games should be re-themed with hamquest graphics.

Uncategorized

Student Status, Windows Phone 7, and HamQuest Improvements

Over the last couple of days, I learned a few things.

One, that my status of “student” is far more valuable that I first realized:

  1. I was able to verify my status for DreamSpark, and there are a number of tools I now get to make use of for free, namely Visual Studio NON-Express.
  2. I was able to get a free developer account for the windows mobile marketplace.

Two, I improved my XAML skills, mostly as a result of using Visual Studio 2010 for Windows Phone. Considering that I’ve been making HamQuest in Silverlight, the fact that I can also use Silverlight for the phone appeals. Also the fact that the resolution of the phone screen is 480×800 means that my 480×480 map area actually fits, which means I don’t actually have to change the size of the map, I just have to rearrange the screen somewhat in order to get HQ onto it.

But before that, I decided to whip up a copy of “Feed the Fish” for the phone. Unlike the couple of times I attempted to get into iPhone development, I’m not going to do excessive Yak Shaving.  A game of feed the fish is fine. A game of click the yellow rhombus is also fine. A game of jetlag is fine. Pipes. Hammurabi. Hunt the Wumpus. Even a port of HamQuest, since it is for all intents and purposes a complete game that I’m simply adding features to.  I’m *NOT* going to start some big project specifically for the platform. Forget it.

Plus, I think I’ve made peace with my artistic aesthetic: ugly, cheesy games that are fun.