Posts Tagged ‘hammurabi’

In which I decide to take a suggestion

April 19, 2010

I took Hammurabi and Hunt the Wumpus, and rewrote them in javascript.

Nothing wrong with ChoiceScript. I just don’t actually need it. I got tired of banging my head up against the limitations of the scripting engine, and rather than be constantly improving it, just use a scripting language in which all that I need already exists.

I signed up for AdSense, and once I hear back from them, I will incorporate ads into these pages (and likely elsewhere on playdeez.com).

I even now have a twitter account, which I had been avoiding for some time.  What I want to do basically requires that I have one.

ChoiceScript Stuff

April 14, 2010

I updated Hammurabi. Should be done-ish now.

I also spun up Hunt the Wumpus.

HTW was a lot easier than Hammurabi. It is way less math-y.  Also, I was able to gram Hammurabi’s boilerplate titlescreen/howtoplay/about/quit stuff, so I had a leg up.

So, the question is: why do I waste my time on these things? What possible point can making goofy ports of BASIC games in a virtually unknown scripting language have?

I’m stressed.

This is how I relax.

Yes, its goofy.

I got the KVM today. Next on the Yak Shaving List: get a 5v power supply, and a dongle that’ll convert VGA to DVI.

Hammurabi in ChoiceScript (Work In Progress)

April 11, 2010

I have a rough version of Hammurabi written in ChoiceScript.

I should warn that while I have attempted to give the same sort of mechanics as in the original, I deviated from the original rather spartan and draconian interface. It *IS* 2010, after all.

Of course, I’m using a strange, oddly BASIC feeling scripting language, so maybe it isn’t quite as 2010 as it seems to be.

I do not have the endings properly finished. You will get an underwhelming “You lost” or “You won”.

But it is playable after a fashion. Just remember to allocate food and allocate acres BEFORE you hit “Next Turn”.

If you are interested in the ChoiceScript source: http://playdeez.com/choicescript/hammurabi/scenes/main.txt

Oddly enough, I modified the script engine to accommodate gosub, return, and stack variables, only to not actually use them in the game.

I think Hunt the Wumpus wouldn’t be a bad follow up to this, as well as some of the other things on Atari Archive.  We’ll see.